About you: A skilled maintenance worker, resourceful and caring, able to balance customer care, diligence, and technical skills. The ideal person will be an ambassador for CCOC and the department and enjoy turning someone’s bad day into a positive experience.
Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation (CCOC) is hiring a Senior Maintenance Worker to keep our buildings in the best possible shape for our tenants and is a critical component in our consistently high tenant satisfaction scores.
About the job: As part of the Facilities Management team, the Senior Maintenance Worker performs routine and emergency general maintenance and repairs. Our ideal candidate has 5 years of related work experience. Trade certification in a relevant field is considered an asset. All candidates must have a G class license and access to a reliable vehicle. Participation in the after-hours response function is a bona fide occupational requirement.
About us: CCOC is a community-based, tenant- and member-directed, non-profit housing organization whose mission is to create, maintain and promote housing for low and moderate income people. We value diversity, collaboration, inclusive and open decision-making, innovation, creativity and sustainability.
Compensation: between $52,336 and $59,812, based on experience and qualifications. The maximum compensation for this position is $67,289.
Application Deadline: 8:00am on Monday, September 27, 2021.
It is CCOC’s goal to be an inclusive organization and we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. We, therefore, actively seek to recruit candidates who are Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour (IBPoC), persons from the LGBTQIA2+ community, persons with disabilities and women.
Preference will be given to candidates with skills in additional languages, and candidates with personal or professional experience with marginalized communities.
Forward resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Your cover letter should specifically address how you meet the education, experience, competencies and skills listed in this job description. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please advise us when initially contacted.
A pdf of the full job description can be found here.
Senior Maintenance Worker
Report To: Operations Manager
Department: Facilities Management
The Senior Maintenance Worker undertakes repairs to CCOC properties and regular maintenance and repair of equipment and systems.
Responsibilities (this is not an exhaustive list)
- Performs general maintenance and repairs by:
- Repairs to plumbing fixtures and systems – blocked toilets and drains, broken or damaged components, etc. including installation of new equipment as required
- Minor electrical repairs or modifications to standard household wiring and fixtures in accordance with safe practices and the electrical code
- Servicing mechanical & heating equipment & systems – thermostats, valves, pumps, etc. to ensure optimal operation
- Monitoring and adjusting, when appropriate, the building systems (HVAC, elevators, life safety, etc.) and reporting any problems to the office or contractors
- Repairs to, or installation of, interior wall and floor finishes and cabinetry;
- Minor carpentry and masonry repairs on building exteriors
- Repairs to, and replacing, locking systems and devices
- Cleaning as required to refurbish apartments or common areas.
- Working with hand held technology to track daily tasks and hours
- Provides emergency services by:
- Responding on 24 hour/day basis (on duty roster) to calls from other maintenance staff, tenants, system monitoring agencies, or civic authorities, to attend to
- Emergency repairs or services (as defined by the Facilities Management Committee) or similar rapid-response requests from office staff
- Performing back-up duties for other maintenance staff on call, as required
- Provides information and resource services by:
- Initiating work orders on a handheld device and providing a written description of work completed
- Observing and reporting on the state of repair of various elements of CCOC properties
- Estimating material and labour requirements for proposed work
- Maintaining the lock and key storage system
- Complying with all Occupational Health and Safety practices and regulations
- Keeping informed of other relevant regulations as outlined in the building, property standards, and fire safety codes
- Assisting in maintaining an inventory of equipment and stored materials
- Performs other duties as requested by the Operations Managers, the Director of Facilities or the Executive Director.
This position supports the work of Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation, Centretown Citizens Housing Co-operative and Cahdco (Centretown Affordable Housing Development Corporation).
Education and Experience
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent
- 5 years of related work experience
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements
- Familiarity with basic email communication
- Intermediate verbal and basic written communication in English
- Knowledge of an additional language is considered an asset
- Valid Ontario Class Driver’s License and reliable vehicle
- Trade certification in relevant field is considered an asset