CCOC is looking for a motivated and detail-oriented Painter & Decorator to keep our buildings in the best possible shape for our tenants.
Are you the right fit for our team? Our ideal candidate has at least 5 years of related work experience, a G class license, and access to a reliable vehicle. The candidate will have advanced skills in painting, decorating, drywall patching, and plaster work. Experience in carpentry, tiling and knowledge of general building maintenance including small electric and minor plumbing will be strong assets.
WHMIS, fall protection, mould and asbestos remediation, and other applicable certifications are considered assets. Preference will be given to candidates with personal or professional experience with marginalized communities.
As the CCOC Painter & Decorator, you will work as part of a dynamic team maintaining the homes of our tenants.
- You’ll work inside our tenants’ homes doing minor patching and painting; fixing damage or following work done by other staff.
- You’ll work in the common areas of our buildings helping to keep our buildings beautiful by touching up walls, ceilings and trim.
- In the summer, you’ll work outside staining and sealing decks, benches and planter boxes and extending the life of our heritage buildings by touching up wood trim.
Does this sound like you? Apply to be our next Painter & Decorator today! CCOC is a progressive employer of choice that values diversity, collaboration, inclusive and open decision-making, innovation, creativity, and sustainability in all that we do.
Compensation: Starting between $40,001 – $44,734, with a maximum compensation of $49,466 plus benefits, including OMERS pension
Application deadline: 3:00pm on Thursday, October 1, 2020
Forward resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. Your cover letter should specifically address how you meet the education, experience, competencies and skills listed in this job description.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
A full copy of the job description can be found here.
Painter & Decorator
Reports To: Manager, Building Standards
Summary: This position’s primary objective involves correcting building standards deficiencies, particularly where they affect the first impressions and overall quality of the environment within CCOC’s buildings. A worker in this position will conduct painting of common areas & living spaces, refurbishment, a variety of cosmetic repairs, and provide general support to the Facilities Management Department.
Responsibilities (this is not an exhaustive list):
Provides support to the Building Standards Manager and collaborates with the Operations Managers by:
- Carrying out regular on-site examinations of properties to ensure curb appeal, and reports conditions requiring attention of any kind to the Building Standards Manager.
- Performs drywall/plaster/wallpaper repairs, touch-ups and alterations at various CCOC properties. Work will be conducted at interior and exterior common areas, service areas, and within living spaces (occupied and vacant).
- Performs caulking, baseboard/trim/millwork installation, ceiling tile replacement, light cover/lens replacement, minor tile repairs & installations, minor mould remediation, graffiti removal, and other finishing repairs.
- Acquires, controls, and reports on an inventory of painting supplies & equipment, and other materials associated to required tasks.
- Provides assistance to staff, to facilitate completion of work in a timely and quality manner.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance tasks such as filter changes.
- Employs various software & technology to track daily tasks and hours.
- Carries out, and potentially initiates, ad-hoc projects where multiple skills may be employed along with physical labour and problem solving with minimal supervision.
Performs other duties as requested by the Building Standards Manager, Director of Facilities Management or the Executive Director.
This position supports the work of Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation, Centretown Citizens Housing Co-operative and Cahdco (Centretown Affordable Housing Development Corporation).
Education and Experience
- Secondary school diploma or equivalent
- 5 years of related work experience
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements
- Advanced skill in painting, decorating, drywall patching, and plaster work are essential.
- Some proficiency in routine repairs, carpentry, flooring, and general finishing is required.
- WHMIS, fall protection, OHSA, first aid/CPR, and other applicable training and certifications would be considered assets.
- Completion of training & experience for both mould and asbestos remediation, pursuant to current provincial & federal health & safety legislation, would be considered an asset.
- Basic computing skills, and familiarity with email communication.
- Basic written and verbal communication in English.
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle.